Ameyoko flea market is situated along the JR tracks between Ueno and Okachimachi Stations. This area used to be a thriving flea market immediately after the end of the WWII. Here people can purchase anything from fish to jewelry at reasonable prices. There are about 500 shops selling things at a discount.
Omisoka is the final day of the old year and the eve of New Year's Day . Before the midnight of this day, people gather to have a bowl of toshikoshi-soba together at home. Toshi-koshi means crossing over from one year to the next. Soba is a long thin noodle made from buckwheat flour. It is thought in Japan that soba brings longevity because soba is physically long.
The Kyushu J7W1 Shinden fighter was a most advanced Japanese propeller-driven aircraft to intercept B-29s in its home land during World War II . It was built in a canard design. The propeller was in the rear as a pusher. The stabilizers were on the front. The J7W was developed for the Imperial Japanese Navy as a short-range interceptor.
Umekoji Steam Locomotive Museum is a railway museum owned by JR West located in Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto City, Japan. The museum was opened on October 10,1972 on the 100th anniversary of the start of railway operation in Japan. When JNR was divided into regional companies in 1987, the museum was inherited by JR West.
The Class C56 is a type of 2-6-0 steam locomotive built by the Japanese Government Railways from 1935 to 1942. A total of 165 Class C56 locomotives were manufactured by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Hitachi, Nippon Sharyo, Kawasaki Heavy Industries Rolling Stock Company and Kisha Seizo. C56 44 is still used by Oigawa Railway. C56 31 used in Thailand during the post-war period is preserved in Yushukan that is a Japanese military and war museum located within Yasukuni Shrine in Chiyoda Ward , Tokyo Prefecture.
The Kawasaki T-4 is an intermediate jet trainer aircraft used by the Japan Air Self-Defense Force. This subsonic aircraft was produced by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. The first XT-4 prototype flew on July 29, 1985. The first production aircraft was delivered to JASDF in 1988. The JASDF's Blue Impulse aerobatic team uses it.
Tajima Shrine is a Shinto shrine located in Tajima,Ikuno Ward, Osaka City. Although the history of this shrine was lost in floods in old days, inscriptions on the stone lanterns in its precincts show that it was erected before 1684. At that time, the shrine was known as Tenmangu1 enshrined Sugawarano Ookami as chief deity and Kotoshironushi no Mikoto and Hachiman as secondary deities. In 1793 the shrine was renamed to Tenjinsha with Sukunahiko no Mikoto as chief deity. Its name was again changed, becoming the present name in 1909. In 1989 the main shrine was rebuilt and the torii and the cow figure attendant on Tenjin were newly erected in commemoration of the present Emperor's accession.
Kami-Arita Station has two side platforms with two tracks on the ground. Two platforms are connected by an overpass. The station is unattended and the ticket can be purchased in a shop around the station. Arita is known for producing Arita porcelain. The Arita Ceramic Fair is held from April 29 to May 5 annually. For the period of this event, some limited express trains stop at this station and an employee is dispatched from Arita Station.
Kami-Arita Station is a train station on the JR Kyushu Sasebo Line located in Arita Town, Saga Prefecture, Japan. The station was opened by Kyushu Railway on October 1,1898 as Nakataru Freight Station. On July 1, 1907, the entire operation of Kyushu Railway was purchased by the government of Japan under the Railway Nationalization Act. The station was renamed to present name when passenger service started on May 1, 1909.
Yasakajinja Shrine is a Shinto shrine located in Nakamichi, Higashinari Ward, Osaka City. The shrine was the guardian shrine of old Nakamichi Village. It enshrines Susanoo no Mikoto and another kami. It originated when Fujiwara no Michinaga founded a shrine at a second house in this place. It is said that local people rebuilt the main hall of this shrine in 1166. They moved it to the present location in 1584. The shrine was originally called Gozuten no Hakusangongen. However, its name was changed into Yasaka Shrine in 1872. The shrine is now a branch shrine of Yasaka jinja in Kyoto.
The Nakajima G8N Renzan was a four-engine long-range bomber for use by the Imperial Japanese Navy. The Allied code name was "Rita". The Imperial Navy staff asked Nakajima Aircraft Company to design a four-engined bomber in February 1943. The plane was a long-range land-based bomber.
Keichu was a resident priest of Myohoji Temple for 11 years. His father was Shimokawa Zenbei Motokane, who served the feudal lord of Amagasaki, Aoyama Taizo Kosuke Yukimasa with 250 koku stipend. Keichu was born as the third son of this family in 1640 at Amagasaki. When he was 11 years old, he entered the priesthood and later studied at Mount Koya.(2)
Myohoji Temple is a Buddhist temple of Shingon sect located in Oimazato, Higashinari Ward ,Osaka City. The temple is said to be created by Prince Shotoku. Keichu had been a resident priest of this temple from 1679 to 1690. He was a Buddhist priest and a scholar of Kokugaku, or a school of Japanese philology, in the mid Edo period.
The Mitsubishi ATD-X ,also called Shinshin, is a prototype fifth-generation jet fighter model. It uses advanced stealth technology. The Shinshin is studying by the Japanese Ministry of Defense Technical Research and Development Institute to develop the technology of future jet fighter in Japan. At the beginning of the twenty-first century, Japan sought to replace its aging fighter aircrafts,McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II fleet.
The Yamato no Aya clan settled in the Hinokuma district. All the buildings of the Hinokuma-dera temple were disappeared ,but the foundation stones of its halls and pagoda still remain within the precincts of the Omiashi Jinja shrine . Above the remains of the original pagoda ,there is a miniature 13-storey stone pagoda . The shrine enshrines the spirit of Achi no Omi, founder of the Yamato no Aya clan.
Hinokuma –dera was a Buddhist temple located in Asuka Village ,Nara Prefecture. It is considered to have been built by the the Yamato no Aya clan in the latter half of the 7th century as a place of worship for them. The Nihon Shoki recorded its founding in 686. The Yamato no Aya clan are thought to be descendents of Korean immigrants.
The Defense Ministry choosethe F-35 for Next-generation ASDF jet fighter. The ministry will officially name the advanced F-35 as a successor to the ASDF's current F-4 fighter jet Friday. The Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II is a family of single-seat, single-engine, fifth generation multirole fighters under jointly development by the United States, Britain, Australia and six other countries.
Souri Station is a train station on theWatarase Keikoku Railway Watarase Keikoku Line located in Midori City, Gunma Prefecture, Japan. The station was opened on December 31,1912 as Soori Station of the Ashio Railway. The line was nationalized on June 1,1918 and became Ashio Line of the Japanese Government Railways. The station was privatized and started operation as Souri Station of the JR East on April 1, 1987. The third sector company Watarase Keikoku Railway took former JR East line on March 29,1989. The line was renamed to Watarase Keikoku Line.
Shari Sonsho-ji Temple , also known as Sharidera,is a Buddhism temple of Zen sect Obaku school located in Sharidera, Ikuno Ward, Osaka City. According to legend, this temple was built about 1400 years ago. In the reign of Emperor Yomei who was the 31st emperor of Japan,a rich man who had a deaf-mute child lived in Ikuno. He implored Prince Shotokuto restore the child's speech.
Entoku-ji Temple is a Buddhist temple of Jodo-Shinshu sect Otani school located in Ikuno Ward ,Osaka City. According to old records, it was built in 1488 by Ueba Matasaburo Masayoshi who was a local samurai under the Shogun Ashikaga Yoshihisa. He fought against Rokkaku Takayori in Gosyu –Sakamoto. Later Matasaburo became a priest and disciple of Abbot Rennyo of Hongan-ji. It is famous that this temple houses the death register and a set of furniture of Wankyu. Wankyu was a wealthy merchant in Naniwa, whose history was written by Ihara Saikaku.
Daikon-daki ceremony is held at Senbon Shaka-do Temple and other temples including Ryotokuji Temple at Narutaki every December in Kyoto. Daikon-daki means boiling Kyoto white radishes. Daikon are cooked in a big pan and served to the visitors at the temples. People believed that they would be free of illness for the one year by eating the cooked radish pieces. This festival dates back to the Kamakura period. It was said that villagers served boiled radishes to Shinran Shonin, the founder of the Jodo Shinshu sect, when he visited Ryotokuji Temple. That is the origin of this festival.
The Okachiyama kofun is about 8 m high, and extended 112 m from north to south and 55 m from east to west. It was a keyhole shaped tomb mound. The square part was destroyed. Most of the square part had changed to Katsuyama-Minami Park, and a road ,named Katsuyama-dori, penetrates through the center part in the kofun. The round part only remains now. This is one of the three major kofun in Osaka City along with Chausuyama and Tezukayama. Okachiyama Kofun is said to be the tomb of Ohaseno Mikoto. He was the founding father of the Nakatomi clan which was an influential clan in ancient Japan. However ,there is no records to prove it.
Hisatsu Orange Railway Co., Ltd. is a third-sector railway company founded on October 31,2002 at Yatsushiro City. The company took over the Yatsushiro - Sendai section of the JR Kushu Kagoshima Main Line on March 13, 2004, when the Kyushu Shinkansen was opened between Kagoshima and Yatsushiro. The line was renamed to Hisatsu Orange Railway Line.
The Nishikigawa Seiryu Line is a Japanese railway line between Kawanishi and Nishikicho stations, all within the city of Iwakuni, Yamaguchi Prefecture. The railway line is operated by the third sector company Nishikigawa Railway. The company took former JR West line in 1987. The line runs along the Nishiki River that is the longest one in Yamaguchi Prefecture. The line is 32.7 km in length. There are 13 stations including both terminals. This route is a single track way through the whole line.
Okachiyama Kofun is an ancient burial mound located in Katsuyama-Kita,Ikuno Ward,Osaka City. This kofun has been known as Okachiyama ( literally, Victory Hill) since 1615. In that year, Tokugawa Hidetada, the second Tokugawa Shogun, held a banquet here to celebrate the fall of Osaka Castle at the Siege of Osaka. Before then, the mound was called Okayama
Misumi Station has a side platform with one track on the ground. There is also a siding track used for staying trains at the night time. The A-Train service operates between Kumamoto and Misumi. The A-Train is a seasonal limited express train service operated by JR Kyushu.
Misumi Station is a railway station on the JR Kyushu Misumi Line located in the city of Uki, Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan. It is the terminal station of the Misumi Line running between Uto Station and this station. The station was opened by Kyushu Railway on December 25,1899. It was nationalized as the station of the Japanese Government Railways on July 1, 1907. The station was privatized and started operation as a station of the JR West on April 1, 1987.
Hokanji Temple is situated between Yasaka Shrine and Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto. The temple is also known as Yasaka-no-To (Yasaka Pagoda) which is the eternal symbol of a city. The pagoda is 40-meter tall with graceful, sloping roofs. According to historical records, it was constructed by Prince Shotoku Taishi in 984.