The east tower of Yakushiji temple had built in the 8th century, and have remained for more 1300 years. This pagoda is the only original 8th-century structure at Yakushi-ji. It is often called "Frozen music".
Suo-Hanaoka Station is on the JR West Gantoku Line located in Kudamatsu City,Yamaguchi Prefecture. The station was opened on May 29, 1932 by the Japanese National Railways(JNR). At that time, it was in former Hanaoka Village of Tsuno District . The station was transferred to the JR West after the privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987. There is a side platform serving one track on the ground. As for the station building, the one at the opening is still used . The station is unattended. There was a mysterious statue of a fox on the platform, but it was removed because it became superannuated.
The type 10 tank is not a heavy tank. The weight of the tank is 44 tonnes. The main weapon is the classic 120mm/L44 smoothbore gun produced by Japan Steel Work. The machine guns are the classic U.S M2HB 12.70 and the Type 74 7.62mm. The autoloader is present like the precedessor Type 90 tank.
Usuitoge Tetsudo Bunkamura(Usui Pass Railway Heritage Park) is a railway museum located in Annaka City, Gunma Prefecture, Japan. This open-air museum was opened on 18 April 1998. It is located on the site of the former Yokokawa motive power depot which was closed in October 1997 when the Usui Pass segment was closed due to opening of the new Nagano Shinkansen. Visitors can actually drive the EF-63 banking engines at the Usui Pass Railway Heritage Park. The EF-63 played its role as an assistant engine for Usui Pass between Yokogawa and Karuizawa Stations. A regular train could not get over the Usui Pass because of its 66.7‰ gradient line.
The line, between Naoetsu and Karuizawa, was extended from Karuizawa to Yokokawa through the Usui Pass on April 1, 1893. Karuizawa is situated at the foot of Mt. Asama-yama. It is surrounded by Mt. Asama-yama, Mt. Hanamagari-yama and the Usui Pass.
Hito-maru-shiki-sensya(Type 10 tank)is the most advanced Japanese main battle tank. It was produced to replace the Type 74 and Type 90 main battle tanks that are currently in service with the Japan Ground Self Defense Force. A prototype was revealed on February 13, 2008 at the Technology Research and Development Institute in Sagamihara City, Kanagawa Prefecture.
Toge no kamameshi is a very popular ekiben named after the Usui pass on the border of Nagano and Gumma prefectures. Toge no kamameshi are sold at the Yokokawa Station on the Gunma side. Ceramic pots, produced by Mashiko plant, are used for the ekiben. Toge no kamameshi consists of rice boiled in dashi with chicken meat, bamboo sprouts, mushrooms, burdock, chestnuts, quail egg and green pea.
The Usui Pass is a mountain pass that lies between Nagano and Gunma Prefectures. The Shinetsu Main Line railway went through this pass from 1893. The pass segment, between Yokokawa Station and Karuizawa Station ,had been operated with the rack-and-pinion railway system(Abt-system ) until 1963. In 1997, the segment was closed, when the new Nagano Shinkansen line was opened, because the shinkansen line detours the pass with a long tunnel.
Yokokawa Station is a train station on the JR East Shin'etsu Main Line located in Annaka City, Gunma Prefecture, Japan. The station was opened on October 15, 1885 by the government railway . When the Usui Pass section of the railway opened on April 1, 1893, Yokokawa and Karuizawa were connected. However, this section was closed on October 1, 1997. Since then, Yokokawa Station has been the terminus of the line.
Karuizawa Station is a train station on the JR East Nagano Shinkansen and the Shinano Railway Shinano Railway Line located in Karuizawa Town in Kitasaku District, Nagano Prefecture, Japan. The station was opened on December 1, 1888 as the terminal of the government railway between Naoetsu and Karuizawa.
Akashina Station is a railway station on the JR East Shinonoi Line located in Azumino City, Nagano Prefecture, Japan. The station was opened in 1902. There are a side platform with one track and an island platform with two tracks on the ground. These two platforms are connected by an overpass. The station has the JR Ticket Office (Midori-no-madoguchi) and ticket machines.
The Shinano(L Tokkyu) is limited express train service operated by JR Central, which runs from Osaka and Nagoya to Nagano via Matsumoto, using Tokaido Main Line, Chuo Main Line, Shinonoi Line and Shin'etsu Main Line. The train started in 1953 as the semi-express train service from Nagoya to Nagano. It is promoted to the express train service in 1959. The Shinano became the present service type train in 1968. 383 series Wide View electric train has been used on a "Shinano" service from 1995.
Obasute Station is a railway station on the JR East Shinonoi Line located in Chikuma City, Nagano Prefecture, Japan. The station was opened on 1 November 1900. There are two side platforms serving two tracks on the ground. This station is located in the hillside in the mountain of above sea level 551m. Because of its location, the station is on a switchback. However trains which do not stop at Obasute Station do not enter the switchback and these trains pass on the Main Line track. The station building was constructed in 1934, and renewed in 2010. Obasute Station is unattended and managed by Shinonoi Station.
Kameari Station is a railway station on the JR East Joban Line located in Katsushika Ward, Tokyo Prefecture, Japan. The station was opened on 17 May 1897. It has an island platform serving two tracks for local services. There are two tracks without platform for rapid services . The koban located at the north entrance of the station is known as a model of a koban in a manga Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Koen-mae Hashutsujo written by Akimoto Osamu.
Gozan no Okuribi, also known as Daimonji, is one of the four big events of Kyoto City, Japan. It is held on August 16th as the culmination of the O-Bon festival. Starting at 8PM, five giant bonfire are lit on the mountains surrounding Kyoto City. O-bon is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the deceased spirits of one's ancestors. It is believed that the spirits of deceased family member visit this world during O-Bon . They return to the spirit world as O-Bon is over . Okuribi is a send-off fire for the spirits of deceased family member.
The Gujo Oodori dance festival is one of the most famous Bon Odori festivals in Japan. It is held in the town of Gujo Hachiman in Gifu Prefecture. The festival runs over 31 nights from mid-July until the first weekend in September. The lord of Gujo Hachiman Castle Endo Yoshitaka started this festival over 400 years ago. It has been designated a Significant Intangible Cultural Folk Asset by the Japanese government.
Sasuke Inari Shrine is a Shinto shrine located in Kamakura City, Kanagawa prefecture. It is said that Sasuke Inari Shrine was founded by Minamoto no Yoritomo. A legend tells us that Yoritomo was visited in a dream by an old man from the Hidden Village of Kamakura while he was in exile in Izu. The old man instructed Yoritomo of the timing to begin battling his enemies. Yoritomo followed his suggestion and succeed to become Shogun.
Otsu Station is a railway station on the West Japan Railway Company Tokaido Main Line (Biwako Line) located in Kasuga-cho, Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture, Japan. The station was opened in 1921 when a new route was introduced to the section between Kyoto Station and Zeze Station.
The Awa Dance Festival will be held from 12 to 15 August in Tokushima Prefecture. Awa Odori is said to be the largest dance festival in Japan. Ren, groups of dancers and musicians, dance through the streets, accompanying by the shamisen, taiko and kane. Performers wear obon dance costumes, singing as they parade through the streets.
Yosakoi Matsuri is a festival held in Kochi City, Kochi Prefecture,Japan. The festival has taken place every August since 1954. In this festival, teams of dancers dance the yosakoi naruko dance ,using naruko which are small wooden clappers. Naruko are held in the hands of each dancer.
The Sendai Tanabata Festival is held in August in accordance with the lunar calendar. Gorgeous decorations made with bamboo and Japanese paper called sasatake are found along the Ichibancho and Chuo Shopping Arcades.
The shape of the Kanto can be compared to that of the ear of rice. The Gohei is placed at the top of the 15 meters high Kanto. It shows the direction of the wind. The performers are simultaneously checking the slightest move of the Gohei. At the same time ,they are managing freely the Kanto pole on their foreheads and lower backs.
The Sendai Tanabata Festival is one of the three major festivals of the Tohoku area. This over the three-day event attracts 2 million visitors. Beautifully decorated bamboo streamers are displayed along the streets to celebrate the star festival in summer.
The Yamagata Hanagasa Festival is considered one of the four famous festivals of the Tohoku region. It is held in Yamagata City, Yamagata Prefecture during August 5th-7th. A hanagasa is a hat decorated with artificial flowers. Over 10,000 dancers participate in this dance.
Sansa Odori Festival is held to celebrate banishing the oni. A total of 231 groups of approx. 33,000 dancers, drummers, flute players and bell ringers all parade in yukata and flower-decorated straw hats. Beautifully decorated floats also participate in the parade.
Kanto Festival originates from the Horyaku period (1751-63). It was the ceremony of prayer for good harvests. Kanto Festival is one of the four biggest summer festivals in Tohoku area. 2011 Akita Kanto Festival is held from 3rd August（Wed） to 6th August（Sat）.
Sansa is Morioka's traditional summer festival dance. Sansa Odori originates from Mitsuishi Legend. Once upon a time, an Oni ,named Rasetsu, was terrorizing the local people in Morioka castle town. People prayed the deity (Mitsuishi no Kami) to rid the Oni. Mitsuishi no Kami caught the Oni and bound him in three huge rocks located at Mitsuishi Shrine. Mitsuishi no Kami made him pledge to never trouble the people again. The Kami made the Oni leave after he put his handprints on the rocks as a mark of the promise that he would never come to this provinces.
Hirosaki Neputa Matsuri is held throughout Hirosaki City, Aomori Prefecture during August 1st-7th. Bamboo and wooden frames covered with paper are illustrated with historic figures and pictures of samurai warriors. These gigantic paper lanterns are illuminated from inside and set up on yatai floats and cars parade.