The Sukumo Line is a Japanese railway line operated by Tosa Kuroshio Railway. The line runs between Nakamura and Sukumo for 23.6 km. It connects 8 stations with a single track. The whole line was elevated.
The Type 10 tank (Hito-maru-shiki-sensya) is a new Japanese main battle tank in service with the Japan Ground Self Defense Force in 2011. The tank will be armed with a new 120 mm smoothbore gun developed by Japan Steel Works. It was exhibited at the East Fuji Maneuver Grounds when the annual Fuji Live Firing Exercises occurred on August 29.
Situated at approximately 200 m east of Hosoigawa Station on the Hankai Tramway,Asazawa Shrine is a subordinate shrine of Sumiyoshi Grand shrine located outside the grounds of its larger counterpart. A deity enshrined here is Ichikishima-hime. According to the Kogiki, Ichikishima-hime was one of the three female deities that protect the seas along with Tagiri-hime and Tagitsu-hime. Long ago , there were a lot of ponds and marshes which were known for its Rabbit-Ear Irises in this neighborhood. Its praises are sung in Manyoshu, the earliest known work of poetry in Japanese history. Kakitsubata (Rabbit-Ear Iris) Park was restored in 1997.
Okoba Station is a Railway station on Hisatsu Line. It is located in Hitoyoshi City, Kumamoto Prefecture. This station is famous to be in a zig zag line and also a spiral. The station opened in 1909. There is one island platform with two tracks.
The SL Hitoyoshi runs 87.5 kilometers between Kumamoto and Hitoyoshi stations. The locomotive ran in the Aso district of Kumamoto Prefecture as "Aso-boy" but went out of service in 2005 due to mechanical failures. It made its return as SL Hitoyoshi in April 2009. Kyushu Railway Co. will run the locomotive on 166 days in a year.
Minami-Tanabe Station is a train station on the JR West Hanwa Line. It is located in Nagaike-cho,Abeno Ward,Osaka City, Osaka Prefecture. The station opened on July 18, 1929 as a train stop on Hanwa Electric Railroad Hanwa line. The station was elevated in 2004 and 2006. There are two side platforms with two tracks. Only local services stop at this station.
Osaka in Meiji 20's had few hospitals and the medical facilities were so poor. Backed by such a social condition, Osaka Jikei Hospital was founded in 1888 by Takahashi Masazumi , Ogata Korenori and other doctors to provide medical care for the poor. . The hospital was started in Enkoji Temple located in present Karamono-cho, Chuo Ward,Osaka City. The hospital was gradually expanded, relocating from place to place. In 1924, it moved to this site, Ikuno-Higashi, Ikuno Ward ,Osaka City(Ikuno Industrial High School). The hospital buildings burned down during the air raids in 1945.
Tsurugaoka Station is a train station on the JR West Hanwa Line. The station is located in Nishitanabe-cho,Abeno Ward,Osaka City. The station was elevated in 2004 and 2006. There are 2 island platforms with 4 tracks. Nearby is Nagai Park.
Yamasaka jinja is a Shinto shrine located in 2-19, Yamasaka,Higashisumiyoshi Ward ,Osaka City. The origin of this shrine is uncertain. However, it is said that Tanabe no Fuhito lived in the area after he came to Japan from Korea. Long time ago, two patron saints, Tanabe East and West, were said to bless this area. People believe that Tanabe East is worshipped at Nakai Shrine located in Harinakano, whileTanabe West here at Yamasaka.
Soma-Nomaoi festival is a festival that recreates a battle scene. It is annually held for 4 days from July 22 to 25 in Haramachi City, Fukushima Prefecture. 600 samurai in traditional Japanese armor and ancestral flagstaffs streaming from their backs rode horses kicking up a cloud of dust across open fields. Soma-Nomaoi has been designated an Important Intangible Folk Cultural Property.
It is believed that Fujiwara no Fuhito established the temple ,now called Sumuji Temple ,as the family temple in the Nara Period at the location 30m north of Yata Middle Schoolin Higashisumiyoshi Ward,Osaka City. Sumuji Temple was said to have been opened by the monk Genbo. Fujiwara no Fuhito was a powerful member of the imperial court of Japan during the Asuka and Nara periods. The rectangular earth mounds and pillar foundation stone of the temple were discovered here. The temple was destroyed by fire in the late Heian period.
The Type 38 in 6.5x50mm Arisaka caliber was the standard rifie of Japanese infantry for a time. It is a bolt-actioned rifle . It is said to have a high reliability and a high accurancy. The Type 38 was produced from 1905 to the early 1940s.
Showacho Station is a train station on the Osaka Municipal Subway Midosuji Line. It is located in Showacho, Abeno Ward, Osaka City. The station has two side platforms serving two tracks . Showacho Station opened on December 20, 1951 when Route 1 of the Osaka Municipal Subway (present Midosuji Line) was the subway was extended from Tennoji to Showacho. Nearby is a covered shopping street of local independent traders called Fuminosato Shotengai.
Kuwazu Tenjin is a Shinto shrine located in Kuwazu,Higashisumiyoshi Ward,Osaka City. According to the Chronicle of Japan(Nihon-Shoki), Kaminaga-hime was invited by Emperor Ojin from Hyuga(present Miyazaki). It is said Kaminaga-hime was famous for her beauty. Later, she became the Imperial consort to Emperor Nintoku,and resided in the Kuwazu area here . When she later fell ill,the Emperor prayed for her quick recovery to the god Sukunahikona no mikoto and built a shrine. This is the origin of Kuwazu Tenjin Shrine.
Gozan no Okuribi is one of the festivals of Kyoto. It is held on August 16th as part of O-Bon festival. Starting at 8PM, the five giant bonfires are lit on mountains surrounding the City of Kyoto in order to show the farewell to the spirits of deceased family members returning to the spirit world.
Bon Odori is a popular event which has 500 years of history held during Obon in Japan. It can be considered that Bon Odori originated from Nenbutsu dance to welcome the spirits of the dead. After the WW2, Bon Odori became an opportunity of local relationship event. People dance to the music of folk records in town parks.
Awa Dance Festival will be held from 12 to 15 August in Tokushima Prefecture. It is the largest festival in Japan. Groups of dancers and musicians ,called ren ,dance to a rhythm of Yoshikono through the streets. The rhythm is created by using shamisens, gongs, taiko drums and flutes.
Osan was the faithful wife of Kamiya Jihei, who appeared in the play "The Love Suicides at Amijima "(Shinju Ten no Amijima ) by Chikamatsu Monzaemon. The play "Shinju Ten no Amijima" was originally written for the Bunlaku or the puppet theater. It was staged for the first time at the Takemotoza in 1720. It was based on a real event that happened in Osaka.
Aug. 4 was a big day for the stationmaster Tama the cat. Tama attended a ceremony on that day to mark the completion of a new station building. The 165-square-meter, one-story building shaped like a cat's face lies at Kishi Station on the Kishigawa line of Wakayama Electric Railway. Kishi Station is known for Tama the Station Cat.
Anyoji is a Buddhist temple of the Chion-in branch of the Jodo Sect located in 1-7-15, Kishinosato-higashi,Nishinari Ward,Osaka City. It was founded by the nun Joyoseikun-ni in 1689. The temple’s main deity is Amitabha. The temple was destroyed by fire in 1887 and again during the second World War in 1945. The current buildings were reconstructed in 1959. There are the graves of Kamiji Osan, Inagawa Yauemon, and Sato Gyogan in the graveyard.
Tsumori jinja is a Shinto shrine located in 3-4, Tsumori,Nishinari Ward,Osaka City. It is unknown when the shrine was founded.. The shrine was established for the protection of the development of new rice fields in the Tsumori area. The main deity enshrined here is Amaterasu Omikami, the sun goddess. The shrine was initially called Gosho or Gosha Daimyo Shrine. However,the name was changed to Inari Shrine in the Genroku period. In 1871, It changed again to Tsumori Shrine.
The Monument of Horse Tram stands within Higashi-Tengachaya Stop of Uemachi line . On September 20, 1900, Osaka Horse Rail Co. opened a horse rail from Tennoji-nishimon-mae to Higashi-Tengachaya. On November 29, 1900, the line was extended from Higashi-Tengachaya to Kamisumiyoshi (Present: Kaminoki). On December 27, 1902, the line was again extended from Kamisumiyoshi to Shimosumiyoshi (Later: Sumiyoshijinja-mae, Present: Sumiyoshi). In 1908, the company decided to terminate the horse tram service. In 1910, it started electric streetcar service between Tennoji Nishimon-mae and Sumiyoshi-mae. The streetcar service developed into the present Hankai Tramway Uemachi Line.
Kagaya Tenmangu is a Shinto shrine in 5-2-4, Kitakagaya,Suminoe Ward,Osaka City. The deity enshrined at this shrine is Sugawara no Michizane. Shibatani Rihei of Tengachaya, Tennoji Village established the shrine for protection of villagers when the Kagaya new rice fields had developed. The shrine was discontinued for a while. However, the main shrine, outer shrine, and office were reconstructed in 1951.
The Nebuta floats are made of a wood base with wired frames. They are covered with beautifully colored Japanese paper and are lighted from the inside by hundreds of light bulbs. The colorful floats are pulled and pushed through the streets. People, called Hateto, dressed in native Nebuta costumes accompany the floats.
Shoenji ,also known as Shoten-san, is a Buddhist temple in 2, Shoten-shita, Nishinari Ward,Osaka City. The temple sits on the border of Nishinari Ward and Abeno Ward. It was originally built in 939 by the monk Kodo. The temple was located in Abeno village(modern-day Abeno Ward )to the east. The temple buildings were relocated and rebuilt in the current location in the Genroku period by the monk Gido-myoken. The temple was on the top of Shoten yama hill from where the sea could be seen. Gido-myoken called the temple Kaishozan Shoenji. Kaishozan means "sea lights mountain".
The Aomori Nebuta Matsuri is a summer festival that takes place in Aomori City, Aomori Prefecture held on August 2nd to 7th. The festival is one of the three largest festivals in the Tohoku regions. The Nebuta Festival is said to originate with the subjugation of rebels in the Aomori district by Tamuramaro. He had his army create large creatures, called "Nebuta", to frighten the enemy.
About 400 years ago, Toyotomi Hideyoshi who unified the political factions of Japan. and brought an end to the Sengoku period,journeyed to Sumiyoshi Taisha and Sakai. During his trip, Hideyoshi rested at this teahouse . From then teahouse and the area had been dubbed Tengachaya ("Shogun's tea house"). The teahouse (Megiya) was destroyed by war in the Second World War. However, the ruins remained. We can see a huge camphor tree, an earthen storehouse, and a stone statue at the site. The site was restored in 1987 by the Osaka City Government, and was designated as an Osaka City historical monument. Its location is 2-10-9, Kishinosato-higashi,Nishinari Ward.
Abe Oji Shrine is a Shinto shrine located in 9, Abeno Motomachi,Abeno Ward,Osaka City. According to the shrine records, the shrine was built by Emperor Nintoku. It was one of 99 Kumano Oji shrines along the old Kumano road and is the only ancient Oji shrine in Osaka Prefecture still in existence. During the Heian period, a great plague broke out . Empero Junna ordered the monk Kukai to make an offering to the gods at Abe Oji Shrine in the hope of putting an end to the epidemic. At last the disease died out.. Since then , Abe Oji Shrine is said to have miraculous effects of curing the diseased.
A yukata is a Japanese casual summer kimono usually made of cotton while a kimono is made of silk. In the summer, Japanese often wear a yukata . In recent years ,the yukata has become popular among young people. People wearing yukata are a common sight in Japan at fireworks displays and bon-odori festivals.