Abe Temple was one of the subordinate temples to Shitennoji Temple in the Hakuho era. It was located in modern-day Matsuzaki-cho, Abeno Ward, Osaka City. It is thought that this temple was the family temple of the Abe clan. Abe no Uchimaro, who supported the Taika Reform along with people such as Fujiwara no Kamatari ,belonged to this clan. The foundation stone for the main pillar of Abe Temple is preserved within Tengachaya Park in Nishinari Ward. It is thought to have supported a five-storied pagoda . The foundation stone was designated by the Osaka Prefectural Government as Cultural Assets.
Sakaihigashi Station is a train station located in Sakai Ward, Sakai City, Osaka Prefecture. The station is on the Nankai Electric Railway Koya Line. It opened in 1898 as Oshoji Station on the Koya Tetsudo. There are 2 island platforms with 4 tracks on the ground. Nearby are Sakai City Hall ,Sakai Ward Office, Osaka District Court Sakai Branch, Sakai Tax Office and Sakai Post Office.
Shiomibashi Station is a train station on the Shiomibashi Branch of the Koya Line. It is located in Naniwa Ward, Osaka City, Osaka Prefecture. The station opened in 1900 as Dotonbori Station on the Koya Tetsudo. It is formally the terminal station of the Koya Line now. There is a dead-end island platform with 2 tracks on the ground.
Kitabatake Akiie held the position of Governor of Mutsu Province in 1333,and became Commander-in-Chief of the Defense(Chinjufu Shogun) of the North in 1335. In 1333, Akiie was ordered to accompany the son of Emperor Go-Daigo, Prince Norinaga, to Mutsu. Prince Norinaga was only six years old at that time. The Prince became Governor-General of Mutsu and Dewa.
Abeno jinja is a Shinto shrine in Kitabatake, Abeno Ward, Osaka City. The shrine is dedicated to Kitabatake Akiie who was a Japanese court noble, and an important supporter of the Southern Court during the Nanboku-cho Wars His father was Imperial advisor Kitabatake Chikafusa who also supported the Southern Court.
Tengachaya Station is located in Kishinosato,Nishinari Ward, Osaka City. The station opened in 1885. It serves the Nankai Main Line and the Koya Line of Nankai Electric Railway ,and Osaka Municipal Subway Sakaisuji Line. It is the terminal station of the southern end of the Sakaisuji Line. The station is the transfer station between the Nankai Line and the Koya Line . There are an island platform and two side platforms with four tracks.
The festival starts at the Tenmangu Shrine and some 3,000 people dressed in the imperial-court style are marching beside portable shrines through the streets. The highlight of the festival is the boat procession with hypnotic rhythms, when 3,000 people board over 100 boats from the approach of the Tenmabashi Bridge and sail upstream toward the Tenjinbashi Brigge. At dusk, the boats lit up with fires are going down the river along with a tremendous fireworks display. There are plenty of food stalls along the riverbanks.
Tenjin Matsuri will be held at the Osaka Tenma Shrine located in Tenjinbashi, Kita Ward, Osaka City, Osaka Prefecture on July 24th and 25th. It is said to be one of the three greatest festivals of Japan. Having a history of more than 1,000 years, it is a summer festival with the world's greatest boat festival. The Tenma Shrine dedicated to Sugawara-no-Michizane as Tenma Tenjin, the patron god of learning and art(especially poem).
Kagaya new rice market hall is located in Minami-Kagaya, Suminoe Ward, Osaka City. Newly creating rice fields were pushed forward as a part of the economic policy by the Shogunate during the Edo era. Kagaya Jinbei created new rice fields named Kagaya Shinden here in 1745 and constructed the market hall.
Ruins of Sumiyoshi Angu are located in Sumie 2-chome,Sumiyoshi Ward,Osaka City. It was the Temporary Sumiyoshi Palace of Emperor Go-Murakami who was the 97th emperor of Japan, and a member of the Southern Court during the Nanboku-cho period. In 1351, Ashikaga Yoshiakira of the Northern Imperial Court surrendered to the south. Emperor Go-Murakami moved from Ano'o in Nara to Shoinden belonging to Tsumori Kunika,the chief priest of Sumiyoshi Taisha and made this his Angu, or temporary palace.
The Basho Haiku Monument stands inside Sumiyoshi Koen Park located in1-1,Hamaguchi-higashi,Suminoe Ward ,Osaka City . Matsuo Basho , the most famous poet of the Edo period in Japan, visited Sumiyoshi Grand Shrine on the night of September 12, 1694. Inspired by a stall selling sake by the "masu" at the Sumiyoshi "Takara-no Ichi" Shinto ritual, Basho composed a haiku which is carved into his monument. masu koute/funbetsu kawaru/tsukimi kana.
Sumiyoshikoen Station is a tramway station operated by Hankai Tramway Co., Ltd. It is located in Sumiyoshi Ward, Osaka City. The station has 3 dead-end platforms with 2 tracks on the ground. It is the terminal station of Uemachi Line. There is a connection to Sumiyoshitaisha Station on the Nankai Electric Railway Nankai Main Line.
Marine Day is a Japanese national holiday. It is celebrated on the third Monday in July from 2003. It was known as Marine Memorial Day before becoming a national holiday. When Emperor Meiji took a trip around the Ou district in 1876, he embarked on a lighthouse patrol ship, the Meiji-Maru, in Aomori. The Meiji-Maru arrived safely in Yokohama on July 20. In honor of that day, Marine Memorial Day was set on July 20. The Happy Monday System legislation moved the date from July 20 to the third Monday of July.
Enma-Jizo do hall at Rokudo no Tsuji is located in Higashi-Kohama 3-chome,Sumiyoshi Ward,Osaka City. The hall houses a Statue of a Guardian Deity of children, Rokudo-no Tsuji Enma Jizo. This statue is said to be built in 1538. A legend tells us that when the statue was being hauled from Naniwa shorefront, it was suddenly became heavy, and the carrier was unable to walk any more at here the Rokudo-no Tsuji.
The highlight of the festival will take place on July 17. Kyoto is crowed by the pulling of the "yama" and "hoko" floats through the streets. The parade departs from Shijo-Karasuma with the Naginata-boko heading the line of the decorated floats. The parade proceeds west along Shijo-dori.
Sumiyoshitaisha Station is a train station on the Nankai Main Line. It is located in Sumiyoshi Ward, Osaka City, Osaka Prefecture. There is a connection to Sumiyoshikoen Station on the Uemachi Line. The station has 2 island platforms with 4 tracks on the 3rd floor. Nearby is Sumiyoshi Taisha, the Sumiyoshi Grand Shrine.
Ikune jinja , also known as Oku no Tenjin, is a Shinto shrine located in Sumiyoshi 2-chome,Sumiyoshi Ward, Osaka City. The god enshrined here is Sukunahikona no mikoto. The shrine appeared as a Grand Shrine in Engishiki, a 927 AD Japanese book of laws and regulations. In the Edo period , the shrine was the branch shrine of Sumiyoshi Taisha, but it became the official local shrine in 1872. The present main shrine was donated by Yodogimi who was the second wife of Toyotomi Hideyoshi.
Tezukayama Kofun is an ancient burial mound located in Tezukayama-nishi 2-chome,Sumiyoshi ward, Osaka City. It was created in the early 5th century. Tezukayama Kofun has a keyhole shaped mound. It is said to be the grave of Otomo no Kanamura who was a politician of a powerful clan lived in this area.
Kita-Senju Station is a railway station located in Adachi Ward, Tokyo, Japan. The station opened in1896. It is served by JR East Joban Line ,Tobu Isesaki Line,Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line,Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line and Tsukuba Express. Kita-Senju is the second-busiest station on the Tobu Railway.
Gion Matsuri ,held in Kyoto,is one of the most famous festivals in Japan. It spans the entire month of July. Eve of the Festival are called Yoiyama (from 14th - 16th). The climax of this festival is a parade of yamaboko floats on 17th .
The 3,180 m high peak of Mount Yari lies in the southern part of the Northern Alps of Japan. It is the fifth highest mountain in Japan and is one of the 100 Famous Japanese Mountains. The name derives from its shape, resembling a spear (yari).
Oyosami jinja is a Shinto shrine located in Niwai, Sumiyoshi Ward, Osaka City. The main deity of this shrine is Tatetoyohazurawake no kimi , an ancestor of Yosami Abiko. Yosami Abiko was a headmaster of powerful Yosami clan resided in this area According to Kogiki, the shrine was spacious and generations of Yosamis served as head priest,
In 1854, when Perry returned with seven warships for the negotiations, Robert Williams died aboard the USS Mississippi, one of seven warships. Perry requested for a land to be used as a cemetery to bury Williams. Tokugawa bakufu offered a place within Zotokuin temple in Yokohama village. This is the origin of the Yokohama Foreign General Cemetery .
Hodogaya Station is a railway station located in Hodogaya Ward, Yokohama City, Kanagawa Prefecture. The station is served by the Tokaido Main Line, Yokosuka Line and Shonan-Shinjuku Line. Hodogaya Station was opened in1887 as a station on Kokutetsu(the Japanese Government Railways). It has a single island platform. The trains of both the Yokosuka Line and the Shonan-Shinjuku Line stop at this platform.
Tanabata("The Night of Sevens") is a Japanese star festival held on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month． It celebrates the meeting of Orihime and Hikoboshi . A legend tells us that the Milky Way separates these lovers, and they are allowed to meet only once a year on that day.
Takasago jinja is a Shinto shrine located in Kitajima,Suminoe Ward,Osaka City. It was established in 1737 by Kagaya Jinbei who was an exchanger in Awaji cho,Naniwa(present day Osaka). Jinbei developed new rice fields in Kitajima. New rice field developers wished to establish their guardian shrine and so Jinbei brought the guardian deity of water from his native Kishi Village in Ishikawa-gun, Kawachi no kuni (now Tondabayashi City).
Sumiyoshi Takadoro is an ancient lighthouse located in Hamaguchu-nishi,Suuminoe Ward, Osaka City. It is said to be the first lighthouse in Japan and to have been constructed in the Kamakura period. The Takadoro was originally located approximately 200 m west of its current place. The old lighthouse was destroyed by typhoons. A monument stands there now.
Shodoshima is famous as the setting for the novel Nijushi no Hitomi (Twenty-Four Eyes), written by the native author Tsuboi Sakae in 1952. The novel later turned into a film ,directed by Kinoshita Keisuke. The story tells us that a dozen children in a tiny branch school and their woman teacher Oishi sensei were together spending the happy months there, and 20 years later, when the chldren were growing into men and women, Oishi sensei met them again.
The Yokohama Foreign cemetery is located in Naka ward, Yokohama City. In 1853, Commodore Matthew C. Perry suddenly appeared off Uraga in Edo Bay. The people of Japan were surprised by his four Kurofune. Perry and his sailors landed at Kurihama in the Miura peninsula and delivered a letter from President Millard Fillmore. The letter demanded the shogun government to open the ports to the American vessels.
Omura Masujiro was born in Yamaguchi, of Choshu domain, Japan on May 30, 1824. He was a Japanese military leader and theorist in Bakumatsu period of Japan. People call him the “Father of the Modern Japanese Army”. His father was a rural physician of the Choshu domain in Suo Province (present day Yamaguchi Prefecture). After studying Confucian ethics, he began studying Rangaku ( “Dutch Learning”, or “Western learning”). When he was 23, he went to Osaka to study Western medicine under the direction of Ogata Koan at his Tekijuku academy.