Kumano Road is an access for a visit to Kumano. The road leads to Kumano of Kisyu. It was so crowded with worshipers toward Kumano in and after the Muromachi era. The scene was reputed to be “Ants seeking to visit Kumano.” The road is called as “Oguri Road”by local people in Senshu after the tale of Oguri Hangan and Princess Terute known as Joruri.
Negoro-ji is a Buddhist temple of Shingi-Shingon sect located in Negoro,Iwade City,Wakayama Prefecture. It was established by the priest Kakuban, also known as Kogyo Daishi, in 1130. During the late Muromachi period, about 2700 temples were said to stand in the spacious grounds of Negoro-ji. During the Sengoku period , the temple organized an armed group of priests called "Negoroshu."
Chohoji is a Buddhist temple of Shingon sect located in Kami Kainan City,Wakayama Prefecture. The temple was built in 1000 under the orders of Emperor Ichijo. It was cared for by the Kishu Tokugawa clan through the Edo period as a bodaiji. There is a Kishu Tokogawa clan family graveyard. Hondo, Tahoto, and Daimon are designated as national treasure by the government.
Kishu Toshogu is a Shinto shrine located in Wakanoura, Wakayama City, Wakayama Prefecture. It was built in 1621 by Tokugawa Yorinobu in commemoration of his father Tokugawa Ieyasu. Bluish rock are spread all over the approach to the shrine among thick trees, Ascending 108 steps of stone stairways of "Samurai Hill," visitors arrive at the Gongen-style shrine, called the "Nikko of Kansai."
Wakayama Castle located in Wakayama City, Wakayama Prefecture, sits at the mouth of the Kii River. In 1585, under the orders of his older brother Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Toyotomi Hidenaga built Wakayama Castle, with Todo Takatora's participation, to rule over the Kii area. Asano Yoshinaga was stationed at this castle after the Battle of Sekigahara. In 1619, Tokugawa Yorinobu ,10th son of Tokugawa Ieyasu, became lord of the castle. Yorinobu restored this castle and left the castle's current appearance.
Saikazaki is a cape in the southern part of Wakayama City, Wakayama Prefecture. A small peninsula called Bandoko no Hana of the cape served as a lookout post for the Kishu Domain to watch the foreign warships during the Edo period. A Japanese garden named Bandoko Garden is on the Bandoko no Hana Peninsula.The long, peninsula-shaped garden stretches out into the ocean and people can enjoy the beauty of the ocean at the garden.
Amidaji is a Buddhist temple of Shingon sect located in Ono –cho(present day Fuchu-cho), Izumi City, Osaka Prefecture. The temple is commonly called “Amida-san in Ohno” by local people. A legend told us that the famous monk Gyoki enshrined Amitabha he had carved as a proof of gratitude for the realization of Empress Komyo's wish for easy delivery. Then, this temple had been crowded with visitors seeking easy delivery.
The Furano Line connects Furano Station in Furano City and Asahikawa Station in Asahikawa City, all within Hokkaio. It opened on September 1, 1899 as the Hokkaidō Kansetsu Railway Line. The line became to be operated by the Hokkaido Railways on April 1, 1987, with the breakup of the Japanese National Railways. All trains are local trains within this line now. Recently, this line became famous as sightseeing route. Special trains such as a lorry train named " Norroko" run every year from June to October between Furano Station and Biei Station.
Takikawa Station is a railway station of JR Hokkaido located in Takikawa City, Hokkaido, Japan. The station was opened in 1898. It is connected to Nemuro Main Line and Hakodate Main Line. The station has three platforms serving five tracks.
Itakiso Jinja is a Shinto shrine located in Wakayama City, Wakayama Prefecture. The main deity of this shrine is Oyabiko no mikoto, son of Susano. Oyatsuhime no mikoto and Tsumahime no mikoto are also enshrined . They are younger sisters of Oyabiko no mikoto. Oyabiko and his younger sisters are enshrined as God of the tree. There is no knowledge of exactly when Itakiso Jinja was built, but it appeared in the Shoku Nihongi, an imperially commissioned Japanese history text in the early Heian Period.
Kominato Line is a rail line operated by Kominato Railway. It runs between Goi Station in Ichihara City, Chiba Prefecture and Kazusa-Nakano Station in Otaki Town, Chiba Prefecture. Kominato Line was opened on March 7, 1925, from Goi Station to Satomi Station. The line was named after Kominato Town in Chiba Prefecture. It was originally planned that the line connects Goi Station to Kominato Town across the Boso Peninsula. However,the railway could not finally get to Kominato Town. Kominato Line has no electrified section and old type diesel cars run through the whole line. It has many antique station buildings and so often appears on the TV screen.
The Kuboso Memorial Museum of Arts, Izumi is a museum of Arts located in Uchida –cho,Izumi City, Osaka Prefecture. It was opened in 1982 with works of art ,a site and a fund donated to Izumi City by the president of Kuboso Corporation ,Kubo Sotaro and the Kubo family. They had managed cotton textile business in Izumi City for a long time. The museum keeps approximately 10,000 precious works, including ukiyoe prints and western arts as well as Japanese and Chinese ancient works of art. The museum houses two national treasures and 28 important cultural properties.
Yotsutsuji Station is a train station in Suzenji,Yamaguchi City, Yamaguchi Prefecture. It is operated by JR West on the Sanyo Main Line The station was opened in 1920 between Daido Station and Ogori Station(present Shin-Yamaguchi). The old wooden station building charms visitors. In front of the station building, there is the shrubbery of the Japanese garden style which neighboring persons made in celebration of commencement of the station.
Nishi-Iwakuni Station is a train station in Iwakuni, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan. It is operated by Iwakuni City on the Gantoku Line which connects Iwakuni Station in Iwakuni City, Yamaguchi Prefecture and Kushigahama Station in Shunan City, Yamaguchi Prefecture. The Nishi- Iwakuni Station started a business as Iwakuni Station of the Gantoku Line on April 15, 1929.
The station building is a Western-style building, and the design which made Kintai Bridge a motif is taken in at the front entrance. The Kintai Bridge is a historical wooden arch bridge near to this station.
After a ritual held at the Kurumazaki Shrine , people dressed in ancient court costumes board the boats , which have dragon heads or birds' heads designed on the prow, from near the Togetsukyo Bridge at Arashiyama. A boat is carrying musicians who play music using ancient musical instruments and dancers perform graceful ancient dances. Poetry is recited on another boat. Ladies dressed in juni-hitoe float sensu fans on the water surface. People along the river can enjoy graceful spectacles.
Some 20 old fashioned boats in the Heian Period on the Oigawa River will reproduce the scene of an ancient boat party about 1,000 years ago on the third Sunday of May. This festival is called Mifune Natsuri held by the Kurumazaki Shrine located close to the river. The Oigawa River is flowing through Arashiyama in Kyoto.
According to the Nihon Shoki, the festival originated during the reign of Emperor Kinmei when the emperor sent Imperial messengers to Shimogamo Shrine and Kamigamojinja Shrine to pray for fertility. Emperor Kanmu established the Aoi Matsuri as an annual imperial event. Some 500 people dressed in Heian court clothing and traditional make-up parade from the Kyoto Imperial Palace to Kamigamo Shrine via Shimogamo Shrine through the main streets of Kyoto. The festival procession consists of Chokushi or Imperial messengers,Saiodai,Kebiishi,Kura-no-tsukai,Yamashiro-no-tsukai ,Mayo-no-tsukai and cattles and hourses and so on.
The Aoi Matsuri is one of the three main annual festivals ,held in Kyoto on May 15. It is a festival of Shimogamo Shrine and Kamigamo Shrine. It originated in the 6th century and became Kyoto's most famous festival in the Heian Era. The festival has been called Aoi festival because the hollyhock leaves were used as decoration for the festival. It was once believed that these leaves protected people from natural disasters.
The E5 series is a Japanese Shinkansen train type nicknamed Hayabusa for use on Tohoku Shinkansen services. It will run between Tokyo and Shin-Aomori commencing in 2011. Maximum speed will be 320 km/h until 2013. Then it will run at a maximum speed of 320 km/h.
The Daianji was moved to the current location ,Minami-Hatagomachi ,in the Keian era. The main hall of this temple was constructed entirely of cypress in Shoin style and had been used as a Hojo for a long time. The main hall houses sliding doors painted with scenes of cranes, pine trees, and wisteria. They are considered to be the work of early Edo period artists of the Kano School such as Kano Motonobu and Kano Eitoku. The main hall and its wall paintings have been designated Important Cultural Properties.
Daianji is a Buddhist temple of Rinzai sect located in Minamihatago-cho-Higashi, Sakai Ward, Sakai City,Osaka Prefecture. Daianji was founded by Tokushu Shiin during the Oei period (1394 to 1428) under the order of Emperor Go-Komatsu. It was established as a branch temple of Tofuku-ji in Kyoto. The temple with six minor Zen temples was originally located in the center of the town of Sakai. In 1615, the temple was destroyed by fire during the Siege of Osaka.
Sugawara jinja is a Shinto shrine located in Ebisuno-cho-Higashi, Sakai Ward, Sakai City,Osaka Prefecture. The shrine was founded in 997 in a festival celebrating a wooden statue of Sugawara-no-Michizane found washed ashore on a Sakai beach. It is also known as Tenjinsan. Its Zuishinmon Gate ,built in 1652 ,has been designated an official cultural property by the local government.
Hounzenji is a temple of Zen Buddhism's Obaku sect, located in Mihara Ward, Sakai City, Osaka Prefecture . It was founded in 1672 by Egoku Domyo, one of the three great Obaku monks in its history. According to the records of this temple, it was originally founded by the famous monk Kukai as a big temple of Shingon sect, named Choanji. The Choanji was washed away by the flooding of Nishiyoke River in the Genna era. Hounzenji consists of Otono (main hall), Kaisando, Tennoden, Yosenden(the chief priest's residence), Sanmon gate,and bell tower, The Otono houses 3,333 statues of the Buddha.
Nikko Station is a railway station located in Nikko City, Tochigi Prefecture. The station is the terminal of the Nikko Line of JR East. The station's building was built in 1912. A European-style building of a white wall is deserving to be the doorway of the international sightseeing spot,the city of Nikko.
The Tarusawa Tunnel is Japan's shortest railroad tunnel on the Agatsuma Line operated by JR East. It is only 7.2m in length and is between Kawarayu-Onsen Station and Iwashima Station along the Agatsuma River .
Aguchi jinja is a Shinto shrine in Sakai Ward, Sakai City ,Osaka Prefecture. The shrine enshrines the gods of Shiotsuji-no-oji-no-kami,Susano-o-no-mikoto, and Ikutama-no-mikoto. In the year 746, a Buddhist temple ,named Nembutsuji, was built by the monk Gyoki on the current shrine's grounds and the famous monk Kukai added a pagoda to the temple in 806. The local people have begun to call it “Otera-san.” The Otera Picture Scrolls depicting the chronicle of the Aguchi Shrine were written by 25 court nobles including kampaku Konoe Motohiro and were drawn by Tosa Mitsuoki in 1690. The Otera Picture Scrolls have been designated as an Important Cultural Properties.