The Mizuma Line is a railway line between Mizuma Kannon Station and Kaizuka Station, within Kaizuka City, Osaka Prefecture. It is operated by Mizuma Railway . The line runs for 5.5 km. Mizuma Kannon Station was renamed from Mizuma to Mizuma Kannon on June 1, 2009 because it is nearest Station to the old historic temple, Mizuma dera
The Fukui Railway Fukubu Line is a railway line operated by Fukui Railway located in Echizen City, Fukui Prefecture, Japan. It runs for 21.4 km between Tawaramachi Station in Fukui City and Takefu-Shin Station in Echizen City within Fukui Prefecture.
Ono-ji is a temple Buddhism of the Shingon school , located in Muro Ward, Uda City, Nara Prefecture, Japan. According to legend, the temple was first founded by En no Gyoja in 681. In 824,Kukai built a small temple named Jisonin-Mirokuji at this location.
The Kishin line runs for 158.1 km from Himeji Station of Himeji-shi, Hyogo , passing through Tsuyama Station, to Niimi Station of Niimi-shi, Okayama. The line is operated by West Japan Railway Company (JR West).
Hokke-ji was built on the grounds where previously Fujiwara no Fuhito's mansion stood. According to records of the temple, the temple had a large complex with several halls and gates, and two pagodas. However, the temple was heavily damaged in the Siege of Nara in which the former imperial capital of Nara was attacked by samurai of the Taira clan in 1180.
Kishu Railway Co., Ltd. operates the Kishu Railway Line which runs for 2.7km from Gobo Station to Nishi Gobo Station within Gobo City, Wakayama Prefecture . The line is Japan's "second shortest" railway. Near the Nishi Gobo Station ,is Hidaka Branch Temple, also known as Hidaka-Gobo, there . This temple is a branch of Kyoto's Nishi Honganji Temple. It was established in 1528 by Yukawa Naomitsu, the warrior of the Sengoku Period. The huge tree of the ginkgo , being 410 years old, stands in the precincts. It was designated as a natural monument by the local government.
Hokke-ji is a Buddhist temple of Komyo school located in Hokkeji-cho, Nara-shi, Nara-ken, Japan. Hokke-ji was built by Empress Komyo in 745. Empress Komyo was the consort of Emperor Shomu and her father was Fujiwara no Fuhito.
Ichibata Electric Railway Co., Ltd. operates two rail ways , the Kita Matsue Line and the Taisha Line. The former runs for 33.9 km from Dentetsu Izumo-shi Station, being adjacent to Izumo-shi Station of JR West ,in Izumo City to Matsue Shinji-ko Onsen Station in Matsue City. The latter runs for 8.3 km from Kawato Station to Izumo Taisha-mae Station within Izumo City.
Ashura statue in Kofukuji temple in Nara is one of the most well known Buddha statues and is one of the most treasured sculpture in Nara era (8th century) in Japan. It has three different expressions on its three faces and six slender arms. The height is approx. 153cm. It looks like a female because of its elegant faces. In Buddhism,ashura is ranked above humans but below most of the other deities.
Sanzen-in is a Buddhist monzeki temple of Tendai school in Ohara ,Kyoto. Monzeki is a temple of which the head priests has always been a member of the imperial family or of the nobility. The temple was founded in the year 788 by Saicho who was a Buddhist monk credited with founding the Tendai school in Japan.
The Enjo is a Buddhist temple located in Ninnikusen Cho,Nara City. The beginning of this temple dates back to 756. It is said that the temple was founded by the monk Koro under the orders of Emperor Shomu and Emperor Koken.
Kisshousouji is a Buddhist temple of Honzan-shugenshu sect located in Chihara, Gose City, Nara Prefecture. It is said that Enno gyoja was born where this temple is located. Enno gyoja, also known as Enno Ozunu, is recognized as the father of Shugendo which is an ancient Japanese religion. The temple houses the statue of Enno gyoja and the statue of his mother ,Shiratome, in its gyojado. “Otondo at Chihara” is the biggest festival of this temple. It is a fire festival held on the night of January 14 annually. Two gigantic torches, 5m in height are lit to foresee what will happen during the year.
The Tobu Tojo Line is a 75.0 km train line , operated by Tobu Railway. It runs Ikebukuro Station in Toshima, Tokyo to Yorii Station in Yorii, Saitama. Yorii Station ,operated by Chichibu Railway ,is a main junction station in the region. It serves the Hachiko Line of JR East, the Chichibu Main Line of Chichibu Railway and the Tobu Tojo Line. On 1 May 1914, the Tojo Railway began operating between Ikebukuro and Tanomosawa. In 1920, the Tojo Railway was absorbed into the Tobu Railway.
The Sakurai Line is a railway line operated by West Japan Railway Company (JR West). It runs from Nara Station in Nara City to Takada Station in Yamatotakada City within Nara Prefecture. It services through to JR West Wakayama Line to Oji Station. The line is nicknamed Man'yo Mahoroba Line in reference to the ancient landmarks along the line's route.
Sekkoji is a Buddhism temple of Jodo sect in Taima Town, Nara Prefecture. It was founded during Emperor Tenchi's reign by En no gyoja, a magico-religious practitioner who trained himself at Mt. Katsuragi. It houses a Miroku Sekibutsu that is the oldest stone image of Buddha in Japan. The temple is also known for its peonies in the gardens. Visitors can enjoy the peonies wearing strawhats in full bloom in winter. It is said that the legendary princess Chujo -hime had a close relation to this temple. Princess Chujo-hime, daughter of Fujiwara Toyonari, was a nun at the Taima-dera in Nara. She is said to have woven the famous Lotus Thread mandala, which can still be seen at Taimadera , at this temple.
In those days, Japan was preparing for a possible war against the Russian Empire in Manchuria. The winter exercise was meant to gather experience in the area in deep snow. However, it had caused the worst result. 199 of the 210 members died and only 11 returned. Search parties discovered Corporal Goto Fusanosuke. The discovery lead to the rescue of the other soldiers.
Chogakuji is a Buddhist temple of Shingon sect located in Yanagimoto, Tenri City, Nara Prefecture. This temple is said to be established in 824 by Kobo-daishi(Kukai), the founding priest of the Shingon Sect. The temple houses the statues of Amida sanzon that are the oldest of its kind in Japan and were designated as an important cultural assets. Amida sanzon consist of the Amida at the center, the Kannonbosatsu on the left and the Seishibosatsu on the right. The three statues all have eyes inset with gems such as crystal. The beautiful Hirado Tsusuji are in full bloom in the garden of this temple in May and so the temple is called Hana no tera or temple with flowers . Visitors can try Miwa Somen noodles in the temple’s kitchen Somen is very thin, white Japanese noodles made of wheat flour.
Sumo jinja is a Shinto shrine located in Sakurai City, Nara Prefecture. Sumo wrestling is the national martial art of Japan. Sumo Shrine is said to be the place where sumo first began, when Nomi no sukune and Taima no kehaya competed before the Emperor Suijin. Nomi no sukune kicked and killed his opponent Taima no Kehaya. The winner of the competition, Nomi no sukune, is enshrined here in a small shrine. There is a small torii at the entrance of the precincts. No building is seen in the sanctuary except a hokora. Visitors can see the remains of the sumo ring where that competition took place.
Shorinji houses a Juichimen Kannon statue that has ten faces on the top of its main face. This sculpture came to be known to the world since Ernest Fenollosa praised highly it during his stay in Japan. Ernest Fenollosa was an professor of philosophy and political economy at Tokyo Imperial University. Fenollosa did much to preserve traditional Japanese art. The Juichimen Kannon statue is seen as a Tenpyo period masterpiece. It was designated as a national treasure.
Shorinji is a Buddhist temple of the Shingon sect located in Sakurai City ,Nara Prefecture. The temple was founded in 712 by Joe , the eldest son of Fujiwara no Kamatari who was the founder of the Fujiwara clan. Shorinji was established as a guardian temple for the Fujiwara clan. The main deity of this temple is Koyasu Enmei Jizo. The Jiso is worshipped as a Jizo of safe delivery and child-birth. The Jizo statue, carved in the Edo Period, is made of stone colored and is the largest of its kind in the Yamato area.
On January 23, 1902, Japanese soldiers on a winter training exercise became trapped in a blizzard on a mountain range. At that time, soldiers commanded by Captain Kannari in the 2nd Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment, 8th Division (Imperial Japanese Army), were crossing the Hakkoda Mountains from Aomori City to Hachinohe.
Butsuryuji is a Buddhist temple located in Haibara, Uda City, Nara Prefecture. The Temple was founded in 850 by the Priest Kenne, a disciple of Kukai who was famous as the founder of the Shingon Sect. An old cherry blossom tree stands in front of the temple. The cherry tree ,called Sennenzakura,is said to be 900 years old. The tree was designated as a natural monument by Nara Prefecture. A thirteen-story stone pagoda in the sanctuary was built in 1330.
Abe-monjuin is a Buddhist temple of the Kegon school located in Abe,Sakurai City,Nara Prefecture. The temple was established by Abe-no-Kurahashimaro in the Asuka Period. Monju Bosatsu Statue at this temple is the largest of its kind in Japan. A 7m high statue of the Boddhisattva Monju rides on a gigantic lion.
Akishinodera is a Buddhist temple located in Akishino,Nara City. The temple is founded by the monk Zenju in the late Nara Period(8th century). It is an independent temple belonging to no sect. The Temple is famous for its statue of Gigeiten or Goddess of the Arts, This figure is extremely beautiful and elegant. She takes the form of a bosatsu, with the right hand raised and the left hand fingering her robes. This standing figure is designated as an important cultural asset of Japan.
Take-isao jinja, also khown as Ken-kun jinja, is a Shinto shrine in Kita-ku, Kyoto-shi, located halfway to the top of Mount Funaoka. Main deity was Oda Nobunaga who had been a major daimyo during the Sengoku period. The shrine also enshrined Oda Nobutada,the son of Nobunaga. It was originally established on October 17 ,1870 in the residence (Tokyo) of Viscount Oda Nobutoshi, a daimyo of the feudal domain of Tendo, in Dewa province. Nobutoshi was a direct descendant of Oda Nobunaga. In 1880,the shrine was relocated to the present location from Tokyo.
The Ninomaru Palace of Nijo Castle consists of five separate buildings linked with corridors . These are the entrance area(Kurumayose), the Tozamurai, the Shikidai, the Main Hall(Ohiroma), the Sotetsu Room, the Kuro Shoin, and the Shiro Shoin. The Ninomaru Palace has 33 rooms and over 800 tatami mats. It is built almost entirely of Hinoki cypress in Shoin-zukuri architectual style. The Ninomaru Palace was where the shogun received envoys from the Imperial Court, so it was adorned with lavish decorations such as quantities of gold leaf and elaborate wood carvings,
Nagaoka Temmangu is a Shinto shrine located in Nagaoka City to the south of Kyoto. It is a shrine dedicated to Sugawara no Michizane who was a scholar, poet, and politician of the Heian Period. Nagaoka Temmangu was built in 901 when Michizane was demoted to a minor official of Dazaifu, in Chikuzen Province. Nagaoka was a place where Michizane visited frequently accompanying with Ariwara no Narihira , his contemporary poet, and spent his time to compose poems. In 1638, Prince Hachijo Toshihito constructed a pond named Hachijo-ike and donated it to the shrine.
Hina-matsuri or Doll's Festival is held on March 3 at the home with female child. This festival is held for wishing girls growth and happiness, displaying a set of hina-ningyo dolls representing the Emperor, Empress, three court ladies, five musicians , sadaijin,udaijin and three attendants in traditional court dress of the Heian period. These dolls are displayed on the platforms covered with a red carpet.
In 1750,the donjon was burned to the ground because of lightning . The Inner Palace was also destroyed by fire in 1788. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, the fifteenth and the last shogun of the Tokugawa Shogunate, returned the sovereignty to the emperor in 1867. Nijo Castle was offered to the imperial family. In 1868, the Imperial Cabinet was installed in the castle . The castle changed its name to Nijo Detached Palace in 1884. In 1939, the palace was donated to the city of Kyoto.