Nicholai-do, in Chiyoda-Ku, Tokyo, is the main cathedral of the Japanese Orthodox Church. Its official name is The Holy Resurrection Cathedral of the Orthodox Church of Japan. It is the largest example of Byzantine style architecture in Japan. The Cathedral , designed by English architect, Josiah Conder was completed on 8 March 1891.
The old main building of the Bank of Japan is located in Nihonbashi-Hongokucho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, Japan. This Neo-Baroque style stone building was designed by Dr. Tatsuno Kingo in 1896. It is registered as an important cultural property.
The Yoko Festival will be held on October 29 in Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine located in Bakuro-cho, Kamigyo-ku,Kyoto. This festival is based on the legend that the deity of the shrine, Sugawara no Michizane worshipped as the patron of learning, wrote several great poems on this day. Michizane was especially favored by Emperor Uda, who bestowed great trust in governmental affairs upon him. But later he was exiled to Kyushu because of slander and died there in 903. A number of classic poems ,Waka ,will be gathered from all over Japan.
The Lake Ashi is a crater lake in Hakone of Kanagawa Prefecture,Japan. This lake was created 3,000 years ago by a volcanic eruption. It is famous for its views of Mt. Fuji. Visitors to Lake Ashi can enjoy the views of the surrounding hills on several pleasure boats. One of the boats is a full-scale replica of a pirate ship.
The Tokyo Imperial Palace is the main residence of the Emperor of Japan. It contains various buildings such as the main palace and the private residences of the imperial family. The origin of the palace was Ohta Dokan’s castle. Ohta Dokan ,a Japanese samurai warrior-poet, military tactician and Buddhist monk, built this palace in 1457. In the late 16th century, Dokan's castle was chosen as the new home of Tokugawa Ieyasu, who was the founder of Tokugawa Shogunate. Then the palace was known as Edo Castle. After the Meiji Restoration, Tokugawa Yoshinobu had to vacate the premises of Edo Castle. In1868, the emperor left Kyoto Imperial Palace for Tokyo. The Edo castle compound became the new imperial residence and was renamed Imperial Castle in 1869.
Ganryujima (formerly Funajima) is an island located between Honshu and Kyushu. It is famous for the duel between Miyamoto Musashi and Sasaki Kojiro. In April 13, 1612, Musashi fought the duel with Sasaki Kojiro on this island. The duel was very short Musashi killed his opponent with a bokken. Musashi had carved it from an oar while traveling to the island by a boat. Kojiro's favored weapon was a nodachi with a blade-length of over 90 cm. long. Sasaki Kojiro used his famous "Tsubame Gaeshi" technique. The technique was so named because it mimicked the motion of a swallow's tail during flight. The small island was later named after Kojiro’s fighting name Ganryu.
The Kanmonkyo Bridge is a suspension bridge crossing the Kanmon Straits. It connects Shimonoseki of Honshu with Kitakyushu of Kyushu Island. The Bridge is 1068 meters long, about 61 meters above the surface of the sea. The Kanmonkyo bridge was opened to vehicles on November 14, 1973.
The 61th Annual Exhibition of Shosoin Treasures will be held from October 24th (Sat) to November 12th (Thur), 2009 at Nara National Museum in Nara City, Nara Prefecture. The Shosoin is the treasure house that belongs to Todai-ji, Nara City. The Shosoin houses artifacts of the Tenpyo era connected to Emperor Shomu and his wife Empress Komyo . These collections are not open to the public, but the selections are on display at Nara National Museum once a year.
Suiten-gu is a Shinto shrine located in Nihombashi-Kakigaracho,Chuo-Ku, Tokyo, Japan. The Shrine is said to have a divine power over the safe delivery of children. In 1818 the ninth daimyo of the Kurume Domain Arima Yorinori established the Suiten-gu in Edo as a branch of Suiten-gu in Kurume, Fukuoka.
On this day a costume parade will move across the city of Kyoto. Each group in the procession of colorful and varied costumes and articles represents various eras during Kyoto’s passage of more than ten centuries. The procession shows eight different eras from the earliest eras to the Meiji era. Approximately 2,000 people dressed as samurais, military figures and common people join the costume procession from Kyoto Imperial Palace to Heian Jingu.
The Jidai Matsuri is a traditional Japanese festival held on October 22nd annually in Kyoto City, Japan. It is one of Kyoto's three great festivals, along with the Aoi Matsuri and the Gion Matsuri. About 1,200 years ago, the Emperor Kammu chose Yamashiro as the site of the new capital called "Heian-Kyo" on October 22nd in the year 794. This was the beginning of the present Kyoto. In celebration of the 1,100th anniversary of the founding of the capital and to enshrine the spirit of Emperor Kanmu, the city government established the Heian Shrine in 1895.
Tokyo Midtown is a mixed-use development in Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan. It was completed in March 2007. Midtown Tower is its symbol which is the tallest building in Tokyo, at 248 meters . It includes office, residential, commercial, hotel, and leisure space.
Kitanomaru Koen, to the north of the Imperial Palace,is a district of Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. The Kitanomaru Park was opened in 1969. There are the Science Museum, the Nippon Budokan, the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo and National Archives of Japan in the park.
Omotesando Hills, located in Jingumae, Shibuya-ku,Tokyo,was built in 2005 and opened on February 11th, 2006. It was designed by Ando Tadao . It consists of West Building, Main Building, and Dojunkan Building. In the Main Building, from B3 to 3F, there are famous Japanese and international designer shops.
The Kirifuri Highlands ,in Tochigi Prefecture, is a highland area between Nikko and Kuriyama on the southeast slope of Mt. Akanagi. The main activities in the area are skiing in winter and hiking in summer and autumn. Natural environment of Kirifuri Highland entertains visitors. In June and July, the blooming of the Nikko Lily (Nikko kisuge)in the entire ski ground pleases the eyes of the tourists.
Kawagoe Matsuri Festival will be held on October 17th (Sat) and 18th (Sun) around Kawagoe City, Saitama Prefecture. The origin of the Kawagoe Matsuri festival goes back 350 years ago. Matsudaira Nobutsuna, who was the then Kawagoe domain head, donated equipment for the celebration to the Kawagoe Hikawa Shrine. From then, the festival has continued with changes, introducing styles of the Sanno Matsuri and Kanda Matsuri festivals from Edo(present Tokyo). In the evening, floats are lit up by lanterns and the festival reaches its climax.
Rinno-ji is a complex of 15 Buddhist temple buildings located in Sannai,Nikko City, Tochigi Prefecture, Japan. It was established in 766 by the Buddhist monk, Shoto. In that year, he built Shihonryuji Temple near Shinkyo Sacred Bridge. Imperial court gave a name of Manganji Temple in 810. Bishop Tenkai became a leader of Tendai sect in Nikko in 1613. He built Toshogu Shrine. Sanbutsudo is the most famous building among the buildings of Rinno-ji. This building features gold-leafed statues of Amida, Kannon with a thousand arms and Kannon with a horse's head. Rinno-ji forms the Shrines and Temples of Nikko UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with Nikko Tosho-gu and Futarasan Shrine.
The Tamozawa Imperial Villa Memorial Park (Former Tamozawa Imperial Villa) is located in Nikko City,Tochigi Prefecture. It was built in 1899 for the purpose of the Emperor of Taisho's rest. He had passed the summer in this villa every year since 1925. In 1947, the Imperial Villa was abolished, and it was opened to the public.
Mehari Sushi is made by wrapping a rice ball with Takana (Japanese leafy pickle) seasoned with soy and vinegar-based sauce. The dish began as a lunch for men who worked in the mountains or rafted on the river. Today it is made in the common family. It is named for the way in which people must strain their eyes and open their mouth widely to eat such a big squeezed sushi. “Mehari” means to stare wide-eyed in Japanese.
Osaka Dome(Kyocera Dome Osaka) is a baseball stadium located in Chiyozaki, Nishi-ku, Osaka-shi, Japan. It is the home ground of Oryx Buffalos, who play in the Pacific League. The stadium, opened on March 1, 1997,is the third multi-purpose dome field in Japan. On March 2, 2006, Kyocera Corporation captured the naming rights of the dome.
Roppongi Hills,located in Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, is a complex facility consisting of offices, residential facilities, a hotel, restaurants, shops , cinemas, a major TV studio, an outdoor amphitheater, and a few parks. The centerpiece is the 54-story Mori Tower. The complex opened to the public on April 23, 2003.
Chinzan-so is Tokyo's Japanese Garden Restaurant at the site of the estate of Prince Yamagata Aritomo, a noted politician and state man during the Meiji Era. Yamagata was also known as a field marshal in the Imperial Japanese Army and twice Prime Minister of Japan.
Chinzan-so is located in Sekiguchi 2-chome,Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo. The area was known as "Camellia Mountain" in the Edo era. Yamagata named his villa "Mansion on Camellia Mountain". Later, Baron Fujita Heitaro bought the Mansion on Camellia Mountain from Yamagata and built the hotel in the place. Fujita also developed the beautiful grounds.
Suwa Shrine (suwa jinja) is a Shinto shrine of Nagasaki City, Japan. It is home to the Nagasaki Kunchi festival which has a history of 370 years. This festival is held every year for three days starting on October 7th and is considered one of the major festivals of Japan. The greatest highlight of this festival is the Hono-Odori. One of the most famous performances of the Hono-Odori is the Dragon Dance which was originally performed on New Year's Eve by the Chinese residents of Nagasaki. The dragon dance is held worldwide in Chinatowns around the world.
Nezu Museum is located in Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo , Japan, The museum houses the collection of oriental art objects including 7 national treasures gathered by Nezu Kaichiro who was president of the Tobu Tetsudo. Visitors can also enjoy a vast Japanese garden. It has been closed since 8 May 2006 for renovations. Nezu Museum will reopen on Oct.7, 2009.
The Tokyo Opera City Ｔｏｗｅｒ, completed in 1997, is a skyscraper located in Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku-ku,Tokyo,Japan. It stands 234 meters high and is sixth-tallest in Tokyo. Tokyo Opera City has an opera theater, a concert hall and an art gallery.
The Osaka World Trade Center Building or WTC Cosmo Tower, located in Nanko Cosmo Square ,Suminoe-ku, Osaka-shi, is the second-tallest building in Japan. The 55-story building, built in1995, rises 256 meters and consists of a museum, restaurants, observation deck, office space and a conference room.
Nipponbashi is Osaka’s famous Electric Town where is a shopping district of Naniwa-ku, Osaka, Japan. It is also known as Den Den Town , as it is famous for its wide variety of consumer electronics stores along with Akihabara in Tokyo .
The Hiraoka Shrine is a Shinto shrine located in Izumoi-cho,Higashiosaka-shi,Osaka-fu,Japan. It was established seven century. However, according to the record of this shrine , it was founded by Ame-no-Taneko-no-mikoto in 663 BC. It is mentioned already in the Engishiki as the first grade shrine(Ichi-no-miya) in Kawachi district- now east Osaka area. Kasuga Ground Shrine in Nara was separately enshrined by this shrine and so, this shrine is called as “Original Kasuga Shrine”.