Nobeyama Station is a train station in Nobeyama in the village of Minamimaki, Minamisaku District, Nagano Prefecture. It is on the Koumi Line, operated by East Japan Railway Company The station is located at 1345.67 m above sea level, the highest for all Japan Railways stations.
Ottoman frigate Ertuğru sunk off Kushimoto, Japan on 18 September 1890 after her goodwill voyage to Japan. At the site of the accident, around 533 sailors including the commander Admiral Ali Osman Pasha lost their lives. Only six officers and sixty-three sailors survived. This accident created a general sympathy in Japan for Turkish people. In 1891, a cemetery was established for the 150 sailors recovered dead at the calamity, A memorial was built near the Oshima lighthouse.
Kashinozaki Lighthouse is on the Kashino Cliffs on the eastern side of Oshima Island. This Lighthouse is the oldest stone lighthouse in Japan. It was built in 1870 by an English engineer and so the English-oak presented by English Embassy is planted near the lighthouse in memory of his achievement. The lighthouse is now completely automated, so it is unmanned. In early spring, about 120,000 daffodils are in full bloom beautifully around the lighthouse. The view tower was built on the side of the lighthouse. People can go up to it and enjoy a splendid view of the Pacific Ocean.
Jurin-ji Temple is a Buddhist temple of the Tendai sect located in Oshio-cho, Oharano ,Nishikyo-ku,Kyoto-shi. In 850 ,Emperor Montoku commissioned an Enmei Jizo statue to ensure a safe delivery by his wife, Empress Somedono . Enmei Jizo is said to be a deity who protects newborn children and their mothers.
Ariwara –no-Narihira, who was one of the six best poets of the Heian period , lived in the temple after retiring. This temple is commonly known as Narihira Dera, There is a grave of Narihira in the mountain behind the main hall. On May 28, the shomyo performance ceremony starts at 12:00. Traditional dance and song performance will be held after the ceremony.
The Hashikui Rocks are a group of uniquely shaped rocks, located in the sea off the coast of Kushimoto Town. Hashikui rock is in along the national highway No. 42 line near Shiono-misaki in Kushimoto Town,Wakayama Prefecture. 40 various sized rocks stand in a straight line in the sea from the eastern end of Kushimoto Town toward Oshima Island for 850m, just like rock pillars of a bridge.
Isumi Line i s a railway line operated by the Isumi Railroad, It extends through the middle of the Boso Peninsula,running from Ohara in Isumi to Kazusa-Nakano in Otaki. The line connects with the Sotobo Line at Ohara Station and the Kominato Line at Kazusa-Nakano Station. It runs 26.8km. There are 13 stations on the line. All trains are local and stop at every station.
Yoshimizu-jinja is a Shinto shrine located in Yoshino Town ,Yoshino County, Nara Prefecture. Yoshimizu-jinja had been called "Yoshimizu-in" before the Shinto and Buddhism Separation Decree declared in 1868. Before then, this shrine was attached to Kimpusen-ji. Yoshimizu-jinja was a temporary palace for Emperor Godaigo, who headed the Southern Dynasty in the period of the Northern and Southern Dynasties.
Sado Island is an island located in the Sea of Japan off the coast of Niigata Prefecture/ It is the 4th largest Island in Japan. The island was a remote place of exile for political dissidents, including Emperor Juntoku, and the monk Nichiren, In the Edo Period, a rich gold mine was found and the island encountered the gold rush age. The island consists of two parallel mountain ranges running roughly Southwest-Northeast between which lies an extensive plain ,called Kuninaka ,with small rice farms. The northern half of the island is covered with the O-Sado mountain range the southern with the Ko-sado mountain range,
Tsuyu-tenjinsha is a Shinto shrine located in Sonezaki,Kita-ku,Osaka-shi. It is popularly known as Ohatsu-tenjin. Sukunahikona and Sugawara-no-Michizane are enshrined here. It is said to be founded in approxiatry 700. In the Genroku period, this was a popular spot for the suicide of lovers destined never to be together. Joruri writer Chikamatsu Monzaemon wrote the drama, "Sonezaki Shinju",based on this tragic history. A young orphan merchant clerk named Tokubei loved with O-hatsu ,the courtesan who was in love with him, However, they realized their own fates never to be together and they committed suicide together in "Wood of Tenjin.
Sanzen-in ,also known as Sanzen-in-Monzeki, is a Buddhist temple of the Tendai sect located in Satonouchi-cho Kishoin ,Minami-ku,Kyoto-shi. Denkyo-daishi Saicho built a small hall called En'nyu-bo in Todo of Enryaku-ji in the year 788. This is said to be the origin of Sanzen-in. Sanzen-in became a monzeki temple in 1130. Monzeki is a temple of which the head priests has always been a member of the imperial family. Sanzen-in is one of the three Monzeki temples of Tendai sect along with Shoren-in and Myoho-in.
Seiganto-ji is a Buddhist temple of the Tendai-shu located in Nachisan ,Nachikatsuura Town, Higashimuro County, Wakayama Prefecture. This temple was founded in the early 5th century. Legend tells us that a Buddhist priest,Ragyo-shonin, from India drifted ashore and experienced a revelation of Kannon in the Nachi-no- Otaki. He founded this temple to enshrine Kannon, the Buddhist deity of mercy. The temple is located next to Kumano Nachi Taisha buildings, a famous Shinto shrine. This temple had been called "Nachi no Nyoirindo" and belonged to the Kumano Nachi Taisha before the 1868 Shintoism and Buddhism Separation Degree. The temple is the first sacred temple on the pilgrimage route to the 33 sacred temples of the Saigoku Junrei of the Sanjusankasho Kannon.
Fudarakusan-ji is a Buddhist temple located in Tsukiji, Nachi-katsuura-cho, Higashi-muro-gun, Wakayama-ken. It is said to be founded by Ragyo-Shonin ,a Buddhist priest from India drifted ashore. This temple is located near the sea coast and is associated with the search for Fudaraku that Is the pure Buddhist land believed to exist in the Southern Sea. Fudarakusan-ji is famous as the departure point for the Fudaraku-tokai which is a voyage of the suicide to look for the Pure Land. The temple is part of the Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range World Heritage Site at Kumano Sanzan
When Himiko passed away, a great mound was raised for her. It had more than a hundred paces in diameter. Many male and female attendants followed her to the grave. A king was placed on the throne, but the people would not obey him. As assassination and murder followed, more than one thousand were slain. Iyo, a girl of thirteen who was a relative of Himiko, was made queen and the order of Yamatai was restored.
Kinpu-jinja is a Shinto shrine located in Yoshino-cho, Yoshino-gun, Nara-ken. This shrine enshrined Kanayamahiko-no-mikoto, or the God of Mt. Yoshino. It is known as a sacred site of the ascetic practices of Shugendo. It was considered that the Yoshino and Omine sites were a utopia with deities. This district was labeled a holy place for the Shugendo sect. En-no-Gyoja underwent his ascetic practices at Yoshino
Tamaki-jinja is a Shinto shrine located in Totsukawa Village Yoshino County, Nara Prefecture. The shrine is situated near the mountaintop of Mt. Tamaki that is at the southern end of the Omine Mountains. It is the protective shrine of the Totsukawa area. This shrine is located on the Omine Okugakemichi Route. It was originated from the ancient tradition of mountain-worship and became a sacred place for Shugendo. There are 3,000 years old cedar trees beside the main hall.
Ominesan-ji is a Buddhist temple located in Tenkawa Village, Yoshino County, Nara Prefecture. This temple of the Shugendo is located on the mountaintop of Mt. Sanjogatake . According to a legend, the temple was constructed in a sacred place where Zao Gongen appeared in response to En no Gyoja's prayer. Zao Gongen is one of the most important deities of Japan's syncretic Shugendo sects, The present main hall was constructed in 1691. The area of Ominesan-ji is usually off limits for female persons.
Aoi Matsuri Festival is one of the three most important historical festivals in Kyoto. It is an elegant festival whose main part is celebrated on May 15. The festival is an annual festival of both Shimogamo-jinja and Kamigamo-jinja Shrine, Kyoto's two oldest shrines. Aoi Matsuri dates back to the 7th century. On the day, everything used in the festival is decorated with hollyhock leaf (aoi). Aoi leaves were believed to protect against natural disasters. 600 people dressed in the imperial court costumes of the Heian Period parade through the streets of the Old Capital from the Imperial Palace to Shimogamo-jinja via Kamigamo-jinja.
The 52nd "Saio-dai," the leading female role in the Aoi Matsuri Festival is Kae Morikawa, an English instructor, from Sakyo Ward, Kyoto.
Omine-okugakemichi is a pilgrimage route in the Kii mountain range. It extends about 170 km from Yoshino-yama to Kumano -Hongu-taisha. The route is said to have been opened by Enno Gyoja. En no Gyoja was a Japanese ascetic and mystic, who was held to be the founder of Shugendo. Shugendo is an ancient Japanese syncretic religion. The 1,000-meter tall mountains of the Kii Mountain Range straddle Nara Prefecture, Wakayama Prefecture and Mie Prefecture. These mountains were and are a source of support for people's sacred beliefs. This area was registered as a World Heritage Site in July 2004.
Kochi Castle is a hilltop castle located in Kochi City, Kochi Prefecture. The construction of the castle was started by Yamanouchi Kazutoyo in 1601, and was completed by Yamanouchi Tadayoshi in 1611. . Much of the original buildings burned down in 1727; but it was reconstructed between 1729 and 1753 in the original style. This castle is the only one in Japan to retain both its original tenshukaku and its palace. The castle has been designated as Important Cultural Assets by the Japanese government.
Yoshino-mikumari-jinja is a Shinto shrine located in Yoshino Town ,Yoshino County ,Nara Prefecture. Originated in the ancient worship of divine water, this beautiful shrine in Momoyama Period style is also called Komori-jinja. Locally it is called "Komori-san" The shrine holds the god of water, Ame-no-mikumari-no-okami. It is said that this shrine was once placed on Mt. Aone-ga-mine in the deepest part of the Yoshino Mountains. The shrine was moved to the present location in about 806. In the 12th century, the shrine deity was the incarnation of Jizo-bosatsu. Under the influence of Shinto and Buddhism Unity theory, it was not strange that a Buddhist image was enshrined in the Shinto shrine. This shrine was reconstructed in 1605 by Toyotomi Hideyori who succeeded Toyotomi Hideyoshi. It is part of the UNESCO-designated World Heritage.
Kongobu-ji is the head temple of the Shingon sect of Buddhism, located in the center of the Koya Town, Wakayawa Prefecture. This temple is not always known by the name of Kongobuji. The temple was constructed as Seigan-ji Temple in 1593 by Toyotomi Hideyoshi to comfort the spirit of diseased his mother. The Seigan-ji temple was destroyed by fire several times. But the main temple was rebuilt in 1863. At the Meiji Restoration, there were two temples very close to one another at the same site, “Seigan-ji” and “Kozan-ji”. The national government ordered that the two temples were combined into one. It was renamed as “Kongobu-ji”,
Foxes usually portrayed as intelligent beings and as possessing magical abilities in the Japanese folklore. During the night, some blinking lanterns appear, and their number increases progressively. The color of these lanterns varies from the red to the blue. A legend tells us that these ghostly lights come from foxe’s lantern march for the wedding. It can also refer to a sun shower.
Mount Kongo is a 1125 meter high mountain in the Senshū region of Osaka Prefecture. It is the highest mountain in Osaka Prefecture. The Mt. Kongo Ropeway links the mountaintop to the foot. The line is owned by the village government. On Mount Kongo, Chihaya Castle was constructed in 1332 by Kusunoki Masashige. But it was later abandoned by forces of the Ashikaga shogunate in 1390.
Shokoku-ji is a Buddhist temple located in northern Kyoto, founded in 1382 by Ashikaga Yoshimitsu. This temple’s address is 701 Shokokuji Monzen-cho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto-shi. It is the headquarters of the Shokokuji sub-sect of the Rinzai sect of Buddhism. Shokoku-ji is said to be one of the Kyoto Gozan or "five great Zen temples of Kyoto". , along with Tenryu-ji, Kennin-ji ,Tōfuku-ji, and Manju-ji. The entire temple complex was destroyed by fire in 1394. But it was reconstructed by Yoshimitsu soon after. The temple had been destroyed many times during the Onin War. Reconstruction was repeated whenever it was destroyed. Later Shokoku-ji was supported by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, his son Toyotomi Hideyori, and Tokugawa Ieyasu. These national leaders helped finance the temple’s reconstruction projects.
Hashima Island, commonly called Gunkanjima, is located in the Nagasaki Prefecture about 15 kilometers from Nagasaki City. Gunkanjima means “Battleship Island.” The island came to be called Battleship Island because of its apparent resemblance to a battleship seen from a distant place. The island was populated from 1887 to 1974 as a coal mining facility. This island is famous for the abandoned concrete buildings which turned into ruins. However, since the abandoned buildings has not been maintained for a long time, several buildings have already collapsed.
Emperor Shomu was the 45th Emperor of Japan. Shomu was the son of Emperor Mommu and Fujiwara no Miyako, a daughter of Fujiwara no Fuhito. When his father Mommu passed away at 25, Shomu was only seven years old. He was too young to become Emperor and so his grandmother took over the reign as Emperor Genmei. When Shomu was 14 years, he was assigned as the Crown Prince. Emperor Shomu acceded to the throne in 724. The era name is changed from Yoro to Jinki ｔｏ mark the accession of Emperor Shomu.
In the Kurabeuma-e ritual, two horses with riders dressed in traditional costumes race against each other at The Kamigamo Jinja on May 5 The horse race is said to originate from this shrine in Japan. This ritual became popular during the reign of Empror Horikawa in the 11th century and has continued until today.
Kodomo no Hi (Children's Day) is a Japanese national holiday. It takes place annually on May 5. It is a part of the collection of holidays known as Golden Week. It was designated a National holiday by the Japanese government in 1948 to respect children's personalities and to celebrate their happiness. The day was originally called Tango no Sekku which was celebrated on the 5th day of the 5th moon in the lunar calendar But the date was moved to May 5th on the Gregorian calendar after Japan's switch to the Gregorian calendar. Until recently, Tango no Sekku was known as Boys' Day. Before this day, families with young boys raise the carp-shaped koinobori flags in their gardens. According to the Chinese legend, a carp that swims upstream and climbs the gateway called Toryumon becomes a dragon. The carp is symbol of a boy with a tremendous will to live in Japan. On this day, households decorate their homes with "May dolls." The dolls wear the traditional Japanese military helmet,kabuto and armor,yoroi. They are symbols of a strong and healthy boy. Kashiwa-mochi and chimaki are traditionally served on this day. The kashiwa-mochi are rice cakes filled with red beans jam and wrapped in kashiwa (oak) leaves. The chimaki are sweet rice paste wrapped in an iris or bamboo leaf.
Greenery Day is a Japanese holiday. it was celebrated on April 29 between 1989 and 2006. In 2007 the day was moved to May 4. Officially it is a day to commune with nature and to be thankful for blessings.
Constitution Memorial Day is a national holiday in Japan. It takes place on May 3 in celebration of the promulgation of the current Japanese constitution. It is a part of the collection of holidays known as Golden Week.